A Travellerspoint blog


Frozen in a tent

semi-overcast 25 °C
View ka and paul's world adventure on JerseyPaul's travel map.

We arrived in Tasmania on the 16th January. Spent ten days driving around in our little hire car. We bought a tent in Melbourne so stayed in campsites. We started in Launceston, stayed at a nice campsite where we met a nice couple and their daughter from Melbourne, Luke, Karen and Sally. They invited us to stay with them when we arrived back in Melbourne.

We went to Cateract gorge which was really pretty. There was a swimming pool and a big lake that you can swim in, they were both very cold. There was a bridge that went across part of the lake which we walked across then we got the smallest chair lift back.

We went to loads of little towns, how people live there we just don't know. They are in the middle of no-where with nothing to do. We visited Marakoopa Cave. It was really cold only 9 deg inside but was amazing. The stalagmites and stalactites were very impresive and we got to see some glow worms. We drove through a town called Wilmot and all the local people have the best letter boxes there was a cow with it's baby, a pig and a man and his dog, It was fun driving down the road spotting all the designs. We stayed in Burnie and went to the little penguin talk, we saw some babies and some adults waddle up the beach, they are so sweet and fascinating to watch. The weather started to change and it got cold at night and it rained heavy. We where going to see dove lake in Cradle mountain so we camped just out-side the national park. It rained extremely heavy that night and we woke up in the morning with mud splats on our faces. We had to miss out Cradle mountain national park as the weather was really bad and we did not have the time to hang about. We drove to a town called Talluha it had a lovely lake and the sun even came out for a while we then went through Zeehan a creepy town all the shops were closed, it was like one of those horror film towns. With Paul's great map reading skills we ended up driving in the wrong direction for an hour but that's enough about men and maps. When we were back on course we stayed in Queenstown for the night, an old mining town which had a strange feel about it. We went to Lake St Claire national park, it was so beautiful we went on a boat ride along the lake then walked back which took three hours through forest. We stayed at the campsite there, had a few glasses of wine by the camp fire getting eaten by mosquito and surrounded by possams. We almost froze that night the temperature plummeted. We had to thor out with a nice hot chocolate. We went to Mount Field national park and went on the tree top walk. He Kauri tree's were amazing they are so big and the waterfalls were great. We drove down to the south coast which had some really nice beaches and views. We had a walk around Hobart and had a look in a few shops before heading to the east coast. The east coast had the best beaches. Wineglass bay had really white sand and blue sea. We got a flight back to Melbourne on the 26th January.

Posted by JerseyPaul 06:57 Archived in Australia Tagged backpacking

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint